Friday, August 14, 2009

Boom Boom! Bil Klinton!

It's easy to sit in the U.S. and think that every country hates you, there are tons of reasons why: Iraq, globalization, cultural imperalism, George Bush... so sometimes I forget that there are places that still really love the U.S., and that sometimes, the things that we think are evil, like war, can actually make another country love us.

The first time I encountered pro-Americanism (which is actually an understatement!) in Kosovo was my first night. I was at this nice traditional Albanian restaurant and I said something in English to the waiter, and he responded with, "AMERICA???" and at first I thought he was going to say something negative, so I wearily said yes, then he shot back, "I LOVE AMERICA!" and he continued on for ten minutes about how every year he applies for the green card lottery in hopes of moving to the U.S. From this moment on, things just got better and better for me as an American here in Kosovo.

Nearly every time I say I am from the U.S. people look at me in a different, but better way. Eyes light up and people get excited! Almost everyone responds with a story about knowing someone in the U.S., or how they have been there, how they love NYC.. and most often about how much they adore Bil Klinton. Maybe you notice my spelling, which is no mistake at all, but is how his name is written here. There is even a Bil Klinton Avenue which is the main street leading into the city from the airport. My first night I was driving down it and looked up to see a huge three story tall photo of Bil Klinton staring down at me -- they have him plastered on buildings so everyone can see him! It's crazy.

In case you don't know why everyone loves Bil Klinton (I don't blame you, it involves a little history lesson), was that Kosovo was a part of Serbia, and Kosovars were very oppressed. Many people did not go to school because the official language was serbian and you were not allowed to speak Albanian (which most people speak here.) Kosovo has two main ethnicities: Kosovar-Albanians and Kosovar-Serbs. There are some minorities such as Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptians, but they do not make up a large part of the population, so when you talk about Kosovo, you talk about Albanians versus Serbians. Anyways, the Kosovo War ended in 1999 when NATO, led by BIL KLINTON (!!!!) bombed Belgrade until Serbia withdrew its military forces from Kosovo. During the war, thousands of people fled Kosovo to neighboring countries or other European countries (you see hundreds of cars here from Germany and Sweden and Switzerland - all refugees), and many people that stayed here died or lived in very poor conditions. Everyone here has a war story, whether it is about fleeing, nearby buildings getting bombed, having to walk by serbian tanks so they don't get bombed for months, or knowing someone who disappeared... Well all of this ended because of the famous Bil Klinton and because of the bombing of Belgrade.

My favorite Bil Klinton story so far happened just last weekend. I was with a Dutch guy named Just and we went to see the oldest Mosque here, which is currently under renovation. There is a sign outside of it in Albanian which says 'do not enter' but we entered anyways and pretended we didn't know what it said. Outside of the mosque there is a large water fountain with seats by it, with water constantly flowing, and little metal cups tied to the fountain. We saw an old man sitting there wearing a traditional Albanian wool cap. He turned around when he saw us and motioned for us to come over there. He filled up one of the cups with water and kept giving it to Just to drink. He would drink it, and then the old man would fill it up again and it would just keep going. I think maybe it's only for men because I wasn't offered any water. So this old man really doesn't speak any english, but he tries to ask us where we are from and somehow we understand, so Just first answeres Holland, and the guy is a little excited about that and smiles. Then I say "United States" and he goes "AHHH AMEERICA!!!!!" and starts speaking really quickly. I have no idea what he was saying, but I'm sure it's good. Then in the middle of his speech I hear him say "BOOM BOOM! Bil Klinton! BOOM! AMERICA!!" So this was his way of talking about how Bil Klinton bombed Belgrade and that's why he loves the US... at least my interpretation of what he was saying. This man was so nice though and brought us into the mosque, where him and a couple other guys proceeded to laugh because I was in the mosque. One of them spoke english and told me women weren't usually allowed in unless they went to the balcony, but because it was under construction I could go inside. The old man kept on asking me questions about the US, using one of these other men as a translator of sorts, and about where in the US I'm from, etc.. he was super excited.

Anyways, it's great to be in a country that actually likes where you are from. It's a huge change for me. It isn't like everyone hates Americans all across the world, that would be a huge simplification of anti-American sentiment, but I really haven't met anyone here who doesn't love the US. In most Albanian eyes, the US gave them their freedom. We were one of the first countries that recognized Kosovo as an independent nation, and we helped them get there by bombing Serbia. If you know me, you know I am a huge pacifist, I've been to anti-war protests, I strongly disagree with violence... but being here has changed my views a little. NATO's actions allowed Kosovo to become independent and people here truly appreciate that. Going to Serbia, you obviously get another side of the story, and I'm not ignorant to that - I've been to Serbia, met Serbians, and talked with them about the war. I was told that when the US recognized Kosovo as a country, some people vandalized the McDonalds in Belgrade and broke into it, as of course McDonalds represents the US and everything we stand for! (HAHA!)

The moral of this story is that even if you don't know it, you have some support. There are a lot of people here really grateful for our country and our politics. In one of the cities there is even a George Bush street! (Maybe their enthusiasm is a little too much about the US). I hope that people know that far away, in a little country that some people still haven't really heard of, there are people dreaming of coming to the US, and many people still consider you lucky to live there.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,
    thanks again for haring this.. I really miss you and wish i could share more of your life right now while i am traveling.
    From the Iguacu waterfalls (just the camp on top of it this moment, the brazilian side)..
    Love
    Caspar

    ReplyDelete